Kristal specializes in community media practices in Latinx cinema and documentary.
Philadelphia Latino Film Festival
DULCE Residency Coordinator Consultant | December 2019 – Present
Diverse Unique Latino Cinema Encuentros (DULCE) is a program that expands on the Philadelphia Latino Film Festival’s commitment to offer opportunities for emerging filmmakers.
Through DULCE, filmmakers develop new and innovative work and engage local audiences in high quality cultural experiences.
DULCE intends to widen access to filmmaking by working with residents in two residential communities in Philadelphia, Norris Square (Northeast Philadelphia) and South Philadelphia, to develop workshops, group projects, short films and activations at key summer events.
Resident filmmakers provide a platform to support local, regional and visiting emerging independent filmmakers with the aim of enhancing the viability of their careers and to bring more visibility to independent filmmaking in Philadelphia.
Lead support provided by the William Penn Foundation.
Scribe Video Center
Communications and Outreach Coordinator | June 2018 – July 2020
- Drafted, designed, and proofread all social media, press releases, newsletters, communications, brochures, and other promotional copy to market over 30 screenings, workshops, and events per quarterly program.
- Doubled engagement, workshop registrations, and screening attendance by identifying target audiences and the most effective methods of reaching them.
- Devised the 2018 and 2019 Annual Appeal marketing campaign generating, in total, over $65,000 in general operating charitable donations.
- Presented Scribe Video Center programs to a crowd of over 300 people during the Sundance Institutes’ Nonfiction Session in Philadelphia.
- Coordinated archiving and educational distribution of over 300 community-based films to universities and libraries nationwide.
- Managed the outreach as part of the national screenings of We Tell: Fifty Years of Participatory Community Media, a national traveling exhibit of community media films produced over the span of 50 year.
- Maintained and updated the Scribe website (Drupal) twice weekly.
- Developed relationships with local and regional with over 150 local nonprofits, libraries, parks, and neighborhood groups to participate in community media programs.
- Hosted critically acclaimed filmmakers before workshops and screenings including Bradford Young, Jacqueline Stewart, Lewis Erskine, and Judith Helfand.
- Provided support and promotions for national organizations such as Sundance, POV, Doc Society’s Good Pitch, and Chicken & Egg.
- Successfully acquired and implemented funding of $1,000 from the Philadelphia Foundation to support monthly filmmaker meetups since 2018.
- Managed archival photography and videography of events as well as archiving promotional materials and brochures.
- Interviewed and supervised two university interns per semester.
- Worked with the Program Manager and Managing Director to plan, promote and present all of Scribe Video Center’s programs including workshops, screenings and community productions.
- Represented Scribe Video Center at professional conferences, panels, and festivals within the national arts community and media arts fields.
Sign up for the mailing list to get new content delivered directly to your inbox.