Kristal is a Latinx documentary filmmaker, festival programmer, and freelance journalist. Available for speaking engagements.
- Community-based filmmaking practices and reporting
- Protecting targeted and surveilled communities in mediamaking
- The intersections of solutions journalism and community media
- Tips and tricks for emerging filmmakers
- Latinx, immigrant, and LGBTQIA+ film criticism and study
- Film festivals and curation
- Social media marketing and crowdfunding for films
IN THE PAST, I’VE SPOKEN AT
- Colleges and universities (Bryn Mawr College, Haverford College, Temple University, The College of New Jersey)
- Public and private schools
- Film and media nonprofits
- Film festivals
- Virtual and in-person events
“Your willingness to share your time and expertise regarding film festivals as it relates to submissions, tips, and innovative strategies was critical to the success of this event. Your knowledge and words of encouragement have been well received by our attendees.”
– Philm Factory
“Thank you so much for being part of my class last night. It truly was the kind of class I wanted the course to be about, one that introduced my students to films and filmmakers that they might never otherwise encounter.“
– Alan Amtzis, Ph.D., The College of New Jersey
Past Speaking Engagements
Digital Co-Next (Digital Storytelling Class) Special Guest
Special guest speaker for an online Youth Leadership program focused on digital storytelling for high school students.
Philm Factory Film Festival Lounge Panelist
Featured fellow programmers at the The Women’s Film Festival, Philadelphia Film Society, Philadelphia Indie Film Festival, Philadelphia Spotlight Youth Film Festival, and A Very Black Film Festival.
Decolonizing Visual Anthropology Course Speaker
Speaking to the Decolonizing Visual Anthropology course at Haverford College in the Visual Studies and Anthropology Department. Topics included filmmaking, film festival curation, and distribution.
Behind The Screens Panelist
Panelist at “Behind The Screens” hosted by the Temple Department of Film and Media Arts, Temple Queer Film Collective, and Mise-en-Femme Productions. Topics included diversity in media and tips for emerging filmmakers.
A Conversation With… Panelist
Panelist at “A Conversation With…” hosted by Independent Film Association of Philadelphia. Topics included emerging filmmaking and impact distribution strategies.